We're now officially open for entries for the 2016 Newton Stewart & Minnigaff Traditional Music Fesitval Tune & Songwriting Competition with fantastic prizes available in 3 prize categories. Winners will also be invited to perform at this year's festival at the tune and song writing competition concert and we're delighted to be welcoming a very special guest this year to deliver a writing workshop - announcement to be made shortly!
Please ensure that you have read through our entry criteria before submitting your entry/entries.
1. Entrants must reside in Dumfries & Galloway.
2. Entries can be either a song (with vocals) or a tune (instrumental).
3. Entries are limited to a maximum of 5 songs/tunes per entrant.
4. Any song/tune that you submit must not infringe any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties. Songs/tunes that contain elements of another work may be accepted provided you make this clear on submission of your entry however only the original parts will be judged.
5. You must be able to perform your song/tune acoustically.
6. It is your responsibility to ensure that the recordings and files you submit are playing correctly. In the case of website links; these must be correct and the song/tune must be publically available, and must remain so, until the competition results are announced. If faulty non-playing recordings are submitted, or an invalid link is submitted, the entry will be marked void.
7. Songs/tunes are judged based on composition, technical ability (musicianship) and quality of performance. Production quality is not a consideration.
8. Winning entrants will be required to perform their winning song/tune on Saturday 9th July 2016 as part of the Newton Stewart & Minnigaff Traditional Music Festival during which you will be awarded your prize.
9. All prizes are non-transferable and will be awarded to the person named on the entry form. In the case of co-composers the division of prizes among composers is the responsibility of the winner. Newton Stewart Traditional Music Festival Association reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute any and all prizes with prizes of comparable value.
10. It is your responsibility to provide correct contact details when entering the competition. All correspondence will be sent to the contact e-mail address supplied on entry. If you do not see or receive notifications or e-mails because you provided an incorrect e-mail address, your e-mail account is over limit or you have a spam blocking system in place that requires verification from the sender, or because you have failed to check your e-mails, or for any other reason, the Newton Stewart Traditional Music Festival Association will bear no responsibility or liability.
11. Entry in the Newton Stewart & Minnigaff Traditional Music Festival Song & Tune Writing Competition constitutes permission to use the winners’ names, recordings, videos and photograps for promotional and publicity purposes on the Newton Stewart & Minnigaff Traditional Music Festival website and on other third party websites and in publicity and promotional materials and press releases. This permission can be withdrawn by the entrant at any time upon written request.
12. You will, of course, retain full song/tune ownership rights and all copyrights to all songs/tunes submitted. Entering the competition does not in any way affect the your ownership of your songs/tunes.
13. The judges decisions are final and binding and you agree by entering the competition to accept and abide by the judges decisions.
14. By participating in the competition you agree to be bound by these rules and by any subsequent published revisions of these rules and by the decisions of Newton Stewart Traditional Music Festival Association which are final in all matters relating to the competition.
15. The closing date for entries is 9:00am on Saturday 2nd July 2016.
Wonderful restoration of Galloway songs...
'Haunting vocals and elegant harp' The Guardian
BBC Radio Scotland Young Trad Musician of the Year 2016
Critically lauded, genre-defying new Irish music!
One of the finest singers in Scotland in any style.
Wonderul vocal harmonies from local duo...
Concerts, sessions, workshops, BBQ, Real Ales...
Scottish folk songs learned at her mother's knee.
Robbie Fraser's wonderful documentary.
Dumfries & Galloway Music Showcase Concert
Taster class led by Andrew Wilson
Learn bodhrán from one of Ireland's finest players.
Singing workshops led by Robyn Stapleton.
Unique performance in the Earl of Galloway Gardens.
Dumfries & Galloway Music Showcase Concert
Wonderful hand-made guitars from Dumfries & Galloway.
Fiddle workshop from superb local fiddle player.
Bring your instruments and voices and join in!
Superb hand-made instruments from Dumfries & Galloway.
Tune sessions all weekend throughout the town.